Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Bubble Gum Alley

Take a close look. It will become evident why this space has been nicknamed bubble gum alley. Yep. There are hundreds of pieces of bubble gum stuck to this wall. 
So the question is, does this count as graffiti? The new ordinance passed making it the owners responsibility to remove graffiti in several days (I can't remember the exact number). 

But back to my question. Is this graffiti? It is located in an alley that had paintings done on the walls that were someones artwork that had been approved. It survived in pretty good shape until someone came and "white washed" some of the walls and then all kinds of stuff I would call graffiti appeared. Then it started to spill over into this area. Personally I love this and think of it as art on a collaborative level, even if ones only contribution is a wad of gum. 

But again, is this graffiti? I'm at a loss as how one defines that? I guess I should read the ordinance to see how they define it. I'll look into that and check back in. Hopefully with more images of "graffiti".

No comments: