Thursday, December 18, 2008

You never know what you'll find....


I found this while I was taking a short cut through an alley in downtown Ann Arbor the other day. I have mixed feelings about graffiti. I personally love well done pieces like this one. I get very annoyed at tagging for taggings sake. 

But the real dilemma for me is when this is done on private property. No one has the right to deface another persons building. Imagine the outcry if this was done on someones car. No doubt someone would notify the authorities quickly. But would they do the same for a building? Oddly we don't take the vandalism as seriously when it occurs to fixed property. Why is that?

Currently Ann Arbor is entertaining the thought of adding a graffiti removal ordinance. It would require property owners to remove graffiti within a proposed amount of time or face a fine. Ypsilanti has one of these in place currently. This seems to be punishing the wrong party for the defacement. I understand the importance of removing graffiti as soon as possible as it is a deterrent to repeat hits. But what if you like the graffiti? What is you consider this a piece of art and you like it? I'll bet no one has considered that aspect. 

In fact that is how Jean-Michel Basquait got his start. He painted walls in alleys and anywhere else he could. They became so valuable that people looked at removing portions of buildings. Unfortunately he died of a heroine overdose when he was 27, otherwise who knew what would have happened?

No comments: