Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Bizzaro blow up

Dan Piraro, creator of the cartoon strip Bizarro, has gotten himself into a little heat from this cartoon. Many a reader has misinterpreted this and have been offended. 

There was a letter to the editor in my local paper complaining about this. I decided to see what I could find about the issue and discovered a blog by the artist. He states, "contrary to what people assumed, this cartoon is not intended to make light of slavery or racism. My intention was to point out that modern "feel good" marketing techniques are no more honest than this kind of technique would have been during legal slavery in America. My earnest apology goes to anyone who misinterpreted it."

Mr. Piraro is a vegan and outspoken advocate for animal rights. He uses his art to make his position known and to help people understand the plight animals face in order to feed us. I am a big fan of his art. I find it humorous and right on the mark. Go, Dan, go! Those that are offended should take a closer look at their life and re-evaluate what is really offensive about this piece.

2 comments:

said...

They printed my letter to the editor about this. Here is the link.

http://blog.mlive.com/annarbornews_opinion/2008/07/letter_bizarro_cartoonist_an_a.html

Whoo-who!

said...

They printed my letter to the editor about this. Here is the link.

http://blog.mlive.com/annarbornews_opinion/2008/07/letter_bizarro_cartoonist_an_a.html

Whoo-who!